WhatPulse Forums » Support » Client software v » [SOLVED] Whatpulse linux client removed? Welcome back, Guest.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Whatpulse linux client removed?
02-25-2015, 03:48 AM
RE: [SOLVED] Whatpulse linux client removed?
(02-01-2015 04:14 PM)1geeky Wrote:  Hi again,

About what you mentioned bogy, I had placed Whatpulse folder inside /opt (outside the home directory) and it's running well, Also starts automatically with every system start. Maybe the 'setup-input-permissions.sh' script did the care of these things too?

sorry for the late reply ...

but what i've done is making a folder /xtrasoft/Whatpulse in my homefolder (xtrasoft has more subfolder with programs that don't have installers)

in /usr/bin i have just created a symlink to my whatpulse binary; so now it's always runnable from anywhere on the system without having to complete the path and i can use autocomplete on it..

if u're an ex-windows user; the easiest way to create a symlink is to browse to the binary, right click it and then chose "create link" or "send to -> desktop (create link)" you'll then see a new file; in most filemanagers it'll be "whatpulse.lnk" or on your desktop you'll see whatpulse with a little arrow. you can just copy this file to /usr/bin (you must use an elevated filemanager to do this)... and then you're settled...
afterwards you'll never have problems with updates of whatpulse; you just have to replace the files in your /whatpulse folder to which you don't need root, so you'll never end up with mismatched profiles because you need root for copying and the whatpulse file gets root as owner.
This happened to me when i initially installed whatpulse to /usr/bin and upgraded for the first time; my stats were gone and suddenly whatpulse wouldn't start anymore... then i discovered that the new whatpulse had other user rights than the previous one; i decided that i didn't want this hassle every time and came up with this solution of a link in /usr/bin and non-rooted whatpulse running from my homefolder

btw; you must look at whatpulse as a 'portable' application in windows; it doesn't need installation to run; you can just run the executable and that's all it needs to run...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2015, 07:34 AM
RE: [SOLVED] Whatpulse linux client removed?
Thanks Dear bogy,
I really appreciate your answer and the time you took to write the reply. I now understand what's going on more accurate.

Regards
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Updating from jessie to buster breaks whatpulse [GoT]Jewest 1 81 09-30-2019 06:39 AM
Last Post: [GoT]Jewest
  Server error: Missing input! with whatpulse 2.8.4 on Win10 Franck.Dernoncourt 3 428 09-24-2019 10:56 PM
Last Post: kolah
  Whatpulse crash [GoT]Jewest 2 83 09-20-2019 09:22 AM
Last Post: [GoT]Jewest
  Whatpulse isn't running after upgrading Ubuntu 1geeky 0 139 08-06-2019 05:46 AM
Last Post: 1geeky
  WhatPulse 64bit install on Lubuntu 19.04 SiKTheGreatOne 0 265 06-30-2019 02:49 AM
Last Post: SiKTheGreatOne
  [SOLVED] Can't run the Linux version [Driver not loaded Driver not loaded] radioz 2 853 06-20-2019 11:54 AM
Last Post: radioz
  WhatPulse not opening on Manjaro Linux (Arch distro) tboxley 4 652 05-26-2019 11:30 AM
Last Post: FamilienVater
  Whatpulse won't start, Unable to install crashRpt! Bai.Bing 0 252 05-24-2019 01:02 PM
Last Post: Bai.Bing
  Whatpulse is not recognizing internet traffic Lodisen 8 886 05-22-2019 05:35 PM
Last Post: Trapton
Exclamation giving pcap permissions breaks whatpulse ajencks1 0 355 04-18-2019 01:08 AM
Last Post: ajencks1