WhatPulse Forums » Support » Client software v » "Windows cannot find 'updater.exe'" error when updating Welcome back, Guest.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
"Windows cannot find 'updater.exe'" error when updating
09-14-2013, 02:06 AM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2013 02:09 AM by zants.)
"Windows cannot find 'updater.exe'" error when updating
I've received this error any time the past few months that I've tried to update to a new version.

Picture: http://i.imgur.com/4Ara6L5.png

The odd thing is that there is an updater.exe in the Whatpulse folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\WhatPulse), but for some reason it's not being found in the automatic update process.

------------------------------------------------
  • WhatPulse version: 2.1.1
  • If you are using version 1.6 or higher, are you logged into an administrator account on Windows so that WhatPulse can access Windows correctly?: Yes (I only have one account on the computer)
  • What error messages are you receiving (if applicable)?: "updater.exe: Windows cannot find 'updater.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." (See above for picture)
  • What programs were you running when the issue happened?: Microsoft Security Essentials, Dropbox, Logmein's Cubby, VirtuaWin, Rainmeter, ClipX, and Zhorn Software's Stickies running at all times; Google Chrome is often open as well.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2013, 05:36 AM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2013 05:38 AM by Exp232.)
RE: "Windows cannot find 'updater.exe'" error when updating
I had the same problem with this last update into 2.2. I just went to the site and re-downloaded the program. It seems to have fixed the problem for now. (I guess we'll find out when the next update comes along.) Just reinstall the program from the site. Make sure you have exited out of your currently installed Whatpulse Version. Oh! And don't reinstall WinPcap. There will be a prompt in the installation process. the new version should just overwrite the older one, so there's no going back and deleting old files. Hope it helps! Wink
09-14-2013, 05:49 AM
(09-14-2013 05:36 AM)Exp232 Wrote:  I had the same problem with this last update into 2.2. I just went to the site and re-downloaded the program. It seems to have fixed the problem for now. (I guess we'll find out when the next update comes along.) Just reinstall the program from the site. Make sure you have exited out of your currently installed Whatpulse Version. Oh! And don't reinstall WinPcap. There will be a prompt in the installation process. the new version should just overwrite the older one, so there's no going back and deleting old files. Hope it helps! Wink

Yeah, unfortunately that's what I've had to do for every update so far - manually update via the website (though today I found out that there actually is an updater.exe in my Whatpulse folder so I can go that route as well, but obviously neither should be necessary for something that's supposed to be automatic). Hopefully 2.2 fixed the problem, I guess we will find out Tongue
09-14-2013, 09:14 AM
You can also just run the updater.exe directly as well. I believe the path cannot be found either because you're running it in administrator mode, or because of the (x86) in the program files. This will both be fixed in the next release (2.2.1).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-15-2013, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2013 05:38 PM by AmokOwe.)
I've had the same error, even got it when trying to update to 2.2 but after quitting and reopening WhatPulse I managed to update to 2.2. But now I get this new error when trying to update to 2.2.1:

http://i.imgur.com/IcrD5JE.png

Translation:
updater.exe - Base/starting point wasn't found
Procedure starting point _Z17qt_message_output9QtMsgTypePKc was not found in DLL library QtCore4.dll.

I think I'll reboot my PC and see if it work and will of course report back when I've tried it Smile

EDIT: It didn't help but @smitmartijn gave me the solution Smile

[Image: 486648.png]
09-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Rebooting won't help - it means you've had the beta installed at one point and the updater.exe is still from the beta version. Just reinstall from http://whatpulse.org/downloads/ and you're good.
09-15-2013, 05:34 PM
(09-15-2013 05:33 PM)smitmartijn Wrote:  Rebooting won't help - it means you've had the beta installed at one point and the updater.exe is still from the beta version. Just reinstall from http://whatpulse.org/downloads/ and you're good.

But won't I lose all my local stats? Or is there an option to keep them? Sad

09-15-2013, 05:37 PM
No, you won't. Unless you actually uninstall the client and say 'Yes' when the uninstaller asks you whether you want to remove the local stats. Otherwise the new client will just detect the existing database and login and continue like nothing happened.
09-15-2013, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2013 05:42 PM by AmokOwe.)
(09-15-2013 05:37 PM)smitmartijn Wrote:  No, you won't. Unless you actually uninstall the client and say 'Yes' when the uninstaller asks you whether you want to remove the local stats. Otherwise the new client will just detect the existing database and login and continue like nothing happened.

So I'll just install it again without uninstalling it?
EDIT: Yes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Updating from jessie to buster breaks whatpulse [GoT]Jewest 1 86 09-30-2019 06:39 AM
Last Post: [GoT]Jewest
  Server error: Missing input! with whatpulse 2.8.4 on Win10 Franck.Dernoncourt 3 433 09-24-2019 10:56 PM
Last Post: kolah
Question [Win7x64 WP2.5] Error while pulsing: "Wrong Password! Try again." Diamundo 8 3,064 08-24-2019 08:52 AM
Last Post: ste0
Bug server error sggxp 0 257 04-25-2019 04:50 AM
Last Post: sggxp
  [SOLVED] Error uploading keyboard/mouse heatmap Wopian 2 707 03-17-2017 12:26 PM
Last Post: Wopian
  [SOLVED] [postmortem] Pulse error: "The specified configuration cannot be used." dgw 4 1,413 03-03-2017 09:54 PM
Last Post: dgw
Information [CLOSED] Mouse distance counter in Windows client. TigraPolosatiy 1 620 02-27-2017 05:30 PM
Last Post: smitmartijn
  [FIXED] SSL Handshake Error JetSet 9 1,521 01-09-2017 09:39 AM
Last Post: AmokOwe
Bug [CLOSED] What pulse stuck , is what pulse not support for windows 10 ? karahan29 1 750 11-05-2016 10:34 PM
Last Post: smitmartijn
  Connected to VPN Windows not counting anymore iOChris 1 734 10-27-2016 12:57 AM
Last Post: Ruben_Koster