WhatPulse Forums » Community » Beta client » Archive v » Windows b5 client bugs Welcome back, Guest.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Windows b5 client bugs
10-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Windows b5 client bugs
What address does the pulse/proxy test send to? I've had reports from users (black_storm_clouds, ExplodingPonyToast, ouch.jars, Salt_Spork) that pulsing from their school, which uses proxy authentication, doesn't work, regardless of what they put in the "Proxy" tab of the program. Either the proxy settings of the program don't work, or the address the pulse sends to is blocked, so it'd be nice to test that out.

EDIT: As an addendum, modifying your proxy settings while "Testing" makes the button clickable again:

[Image: 7ECvD.png]

(Yes, that was my username when I attended that school... The authentication should still work so I tried testing it. The "Test proxy" button returns an error with accessing the webserver)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Windows b5 client bugs
Here are two more network information screenshots of interfaces that aren't recognised:

[Image: c7XFL.png]
[Image: Xax93.png]
10-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Windows b5 client bugs
sellyme Wrote:What address does the pulse/proxy test send to?
(Yes, that was my username when I attended that school... The authentication should still work so I tried testing it. The "Test proxy" button returns an error with accessing the webserver)

It contacts the same ssl server as where the pulses go. Tick the 'Proxy authentication required' box?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Windows b5 client bugs
sellyme Wrote:I tested autopulse for a bit:

The autopulse is not entirely skewed; it's just the bandwidth settings. It uses the actual unit the autopulse value is set to. So if you set it to 1000 keys, it pulses 1000 keys, not what the keycount happens to be when it gets to pulsing. It then subtracts the autopulse unit from the current stats.

On the bandwidth, it subtracted 100B instead of 100MB, which made the auto pulse come along a lot.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Windows b5 client bugs
smitmartijn Wrote:The autopulse is not entirely skewed; it's just the bandwidth settings. It uses the actual unit the autopulse value is set to. So if you set it to 1000 keys, it pulses 1000 keys, not what the keycount happens to be when it gets to pulsing. It then subtracts the autopulse unit from the current stats.

On the bandwidth, it subtracted 100B instead of 100MB, which made the auto pulse come along a lot.

That doesn't explain why the autopulse completely fails to work so frequently, though.
10-17-2012, 07:33 AM
Windows b5 client bugs
It seems that WhatPulse doesn't handle heavy amounts of bandwidth well. On my A8-3870K CPU it uses an entire thread just to track around 11MB/s upload speeds, and can't track more. It was recording 11MB/s while I was actually doing about 50MB/s. I would've just assumed that this was an issue with computational power, as BWMeter also uses high amounts of CPU when I'm flooding the network, but the applications tab works fine:

[Image: MKbjp.png]

[Image: K5clB.png]

(I should probably mention that I'm using LOIC to test my LAN's stability, not DoSing anyone. I've been having huge connectivity issues while uploading at 80KB/s. They're (evidently) fixed, though Big Grin)
10-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Windows b5 client bugs
sellyme Wrote:What address does the pulse/proxy test send to? I've had reports from users (black_storm_clouds, ExplodingPonyToast, ouch.jars, Salt_Spork) that pulsing from their school, which uses proxy authentication, doesn't work, regardless of what they put in the "Proxy" tab of the program. Either the proxy settings of the program don't work, or the address the pulse sends to is blocked, so it'd be nice to test that out.

EDIT: As an addendum, modifying your proxy settings while "Testing" makes the button clickable again:

I didn't actually report any issues, it works fine for me behind the authenticated proxy in question. But that's because I set my systemwide proxy to CNTLM (local proxy authenticator so that you don't get constant password prompts) and I run Proxifier to capture the rest of the outgoing traffic and force it through the proxy (so that non-proxy aware apps work).

I'll do some investigating tomorrow and find out how b5 behaves with proxies under Windows.

I'd also love to test it under OS X (where I have the same CNTLM-Proxifier setup) but seeing as b5 crashes immediately on my bland 10.8.2 install with Gatekeeper disabled I'm out of luck for now.
10-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Windows b5 client bugs
[18/10 03:14:31] <+Sellyme> Speaking of small issues, if you move from the third page of the network tab to the fourth page, it keeps "KB/sec" and "Realtime Summary"
[18/10 03:14:49] <+Sellyme> While showing the values for the overall summary.
[18/10 03:15:01] <+Sellyme> When I tab from 3 to 4, this happens:
[Image: G63gl.png]
[18/10 03:16:04] <+Sellyme> Aaaaamd this is what it should look like (swapping from page 1 to 4):
[Image: 7w7l4.png]

As a minor visual error, the numbers in the application activity tab render really badly:

[Image: RPAZ1.png]
10-18-2012, 01:26 AM
Windows b5 client bugs
I found an issue with bandwidth/data counting.

It appears that if I pulse only a few kilobytes of data, it is automatically rounded up to a full megabyte of data.

[Image: 2QJ01.png]

Also, it appears that data transfer is only counted when I am connected via Ethernet. My WLAN adapter is not detected by WhatPulse.
10-18-2012, 04:48 AM
Windows b5 client bugs
SaltSpork Wrote:I didn't actually report any issues, it works fine for me behind the authenticated proxy in question. But that's because I set my systemwide proxy to CNTLM (local proxy authenticator so that you don't get constant password prompts) and I run Proxifier to capture the rest of the outgoing traffic and force it through the proxy (so that non-proxy aware apps work).

I'll do some investigating tomorrow and find out how b5 behaves with proxies under Windows.

I'd also love to test it under OS X (where I have the same CNTLM-Proxifier setup) but seeing as b5 crashes immediately on my bland 10.8.2 install with Gatekeeper disabled I'm out of luck for now.

Testing complete.

WhatPulse ignores the systemwide proxy configuration in Windows as I expected. This isn't an issue in itself and it eliminates one testing variable.

With the proxy option disabled in WhatPulse it makes a HTTPS connection directly to the server. Normally this would result in failure but since I'm running Proxifier the connection was instead captured.

[10.18 15:07:29] whatpulse.exe - beta.pulse-stats.whatpulse.org:443 open through proxy 127.0.0.1:3128 HTTPS

And it worked just fine.

Next I tested by setting WhatPulse to use a proxy without authentication required. Sure enough the test works and I'm able to pulse. No direct connections were being made.

Finally I set it to use the authenticated proxy. It failed regardless of username syntax.

From this I can conclude that the client does not work behind NTLM authenticated proxies without special configuration and third party software.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [SOLVED] Server Lost Client Token Inquizitor 3 1,632 04-12-2015 09:30 AM
Last Post: smitmartijn
  Windows Beta 7 Crash X-Kal 3 7,977 12-04-2012 09:52 PM
Last Post: X-Kal
  DLL errors on Windows XP sibberio 5 6,147 11-26-2012 09:35 AM
Last Post: sibberio
  Windows b7 - Small Network Tab Problem Alakon9x 2 3,899 11-25-2012 08:43 AM
  Windows b6 - program freeze issue (Windows XP and XP64) FamilienVater 6 6,773 11-24-2012 03:07 PM
  Windows b6 disk consumption Syfaro 6 5,831 11-08-2012 11:08 PM
Last Post: Syfaro
  Windows b6 - Crash On hibernate Alakon9x 3 4,864 11-06-2012 07:05 PM
Last Post: Alakon9x
  Windows b6 - Heatmap Issue Alakon9x 7 6,567 11-06-2012 06:58 PM
Last Post: Alakon9x
  Windows b6 - Network FamilienVater 4 4,803 10-30-2012 05:56 PM
  Bugs and feature for 2.0b5 - Mac OS X client bman4789 3 4,424 10-11-2012 06:17 PM