WhatPulse Forums
Whatpulse is tracking LAN activity - Printable Version

+- WhatPulse Forums (http://whatpulse.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Client software (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Whatpulse is tracking LAN activity (/showthread.php?tid=2710)

Pages: 1 2

Whatpulse is tracking LAN activity - mupet0000 - 02-27-2013 10:21 PM

I use network shares in Windows, Whatpulse is tracking me moving files between computers on my lan as download/upload data. This makes my network stats completely irrelevant because they are wrong and will continue to be wrong.

I think it should only track download/upload data from the internet. Is there a way I can fix this or does it need an update?

(Version 2.0.4 - Windows 7 x64)

RE: Whatpulse is tracking LAN activity - smitmartijn - 02-28-2013 06:10 PM

Unless you're using external IPs inside your LAN, this will not happen. If you are using external IPs inside your LAN, shame on you. ;-)

RE: Whatpulse is tracking LAN activity - mupet0000 - 02-28-2013 06:15 PM

I'm not using external IP's, It's going to 192.168.1.*** IP's in my LAN when I transfer files/folders, but it's still counting it...

RE: Whatpulse is tracking LAN activity - smitmartijn - 02-28-2013 06:18 PM

The unpulsed figure will not go up when you do this, the rest of the stats will, maybe that's the confusion. It's hardcoded into the client to not count local traffic as unpulsed data.

RE: Whatpulse is tracking LAN activity - mupet0000 - 02-28-2013 08:32 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by unpulsed. The data I have in the client is the same as the pulsed data shown on my profile, it is the same before and after being pulsed, and it is counting local to local and internet transfers.

RE: Whatpulse is tracking LAN activity - smitmartijn - 02-28-2013 08:37 PM

Check the overview tab, there you can see the "Down, Up & Unpulsed" values. With external traffic, both increment and with internal traffic, only the Down/Up increment.

RE: Whatpulse is tracking LAN activity - mupet0000 - 02-28-2013 10:04 PM

I cut and paste a rar file from my local drive to my lan network drive which is mounted as a network mapped share (with a drive letter) in windows explorer, my unpulsed went from 50KB uploaded to 250MB uploaded, the same size as the rar.

RE: Whatpulse is tracking LAN activity - smitmartijn - 03-01-2013 04:48 PM

Any chance you're using IPv6 for that copy? It looks like I'm a broken record, but it's simply impossible for IPv4 internal traffic to be counted.

RE: Whatpulse is tracking LAN activity - mupet0000 - 03-02-2013 07:42 AM

I think I know what it is, I remember the same bug happened with NetWorx, I contacted them and they fixed it in version 5.1.7. It's VirtualBox, it creates a virtual ethernet connection which is always connected even if you aren't using a VM.

It's the exact same issue I remember having with NetWorx tracking my local traffic so it must be VirtualBox.

Edit:
Yup sure enough, I uninstalled VirtualBox (I only had it installed on the machine I was transferring from) and the problem is gone.

RE: Whatpulse is tracking LAN activity - smitmartijn - 03-02-2013 08:00 PM

Do you have the ethernet connection details? Like what IP configuration it had?