WhatPulse Forums
[MAC] after connection loss WP asks for admin password - Printable Version

+- WhatPulse Forums (http://whatpulse.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Client software (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: [MAC] after connection loss WP asks for admin password (/showthread.php?tid=2326)

Pages: 1 2

[MAC] after connection loss WP asks for admin password - guitarist.nl - 01-07-2013 10:07 PM

[Image: 2v96c80.jpg]

Every time Whatpulse loses it's connection it asks for the admin password.

Mac OS X, Mountain Lion.

RE: [MAC] after connection loss WP asks for admin password - wonder_al - 01-11-2013 12:18 AM

Same problem, whenever I log in it asks for the admin password.

RE: [MAC] after connection loss WP asks for admin password - dj_chalky - 01-11-2013 09:43 AM

I was getting this too, and when you put your credentials in it just keeps pestering for them over and over again.

RE: [MAC] after connection loss WP asks for admin password - smitmartijn - 01-12-2013 02:53 PM

(01-07-2013 10:07 PM)guitarist.nl Wrote:  Every time Whatpulse loses it's connection it asks for the admin password.

When you say "loses it's connection" - do you mean after a restart or re-login?

Either way, could you guys see if the directory /Library/System/ChmodBPF exists? It is a script which comes with the installer to set certain permissions to grant WhatPulse access to the network interfaces.

RE: [MAC] after connection loss WP asks for admin password - wonder_al - 01-13-2013 02:31 AM

I ran chown -R root /Library/StartupItems/ChmodBPF and it seems to have worked for now.

Edit: Went back to asking for the password when I wake it up.

RE: [MAC] after connection loss WP asks for admin password - bman4789 - 01-17-2013 01:23 AM

I get this too. It happens when I plug in, or unplug my Ethernet cord and switch to wifi on my MacBook. Connections aren't maintained when the IP address changes. It is very annoying and has happened ever since the first 2.0 beta.

RE: [MAC] after connection loss WP asks for admin password - smitmartijn - 01-17-2013 06:10 PM

Well this is getting weird then, it seems like your OSX is resetting the permissions of the /dev/bpf* devices on a sleep - which is undocumented behaviour, and I've never seen that happen myself.

Do you have any special apps running that protect the system? Like an antivirus or network management software?

(if you just want the messages to go away, disable network stats)

RE: [MAC] after connection loss WP asks for admin password - Roelant - 01-31-2013 05:40 PM

Hi smitmartijn, I'm seeing the same behavior as described, no special tools like you're asking for afaik.

RE: [MAC] after connection loss WP asks for admin password - bman4789 - 01-31-2013 07:56 PM

I have several utilities running including iStat Menus 4, f.lux, Growl, GrowlTunes, gfxCardStatus, Dropbox, MenuWeather, XtraFinder, NerdTool, and BetterTouchTool. The only thing that could interfere with network stuff would be iStat Menus 4. And that is a must have for me. I'll see if Whatpulse works with iStat Menus not running.

RE: [MAC] after connection loss WP asks for admin password - Roelant - 01-31-2013 09:13 PM

(01-31-2013 07:56 PM)bman4789 Wrote:  I have several utilities running including iStat Menus 4, f.lux, Growl, GrowlTunes, gfxCardStatus, Dropbox, MenuWeather, XtraFinder, NerdTool, and BetterTouchTool. The only thing that could interfere with network stuff would be iStat Menus 4. And that is a must have for me. I'll see if Whatpulse works with iStat Menus not running.

Well, to - possibly- narrow down things a bit: from that list, I'm only using f.lux and iStats Pro (though as a widget in the dash, not the menubar version). F.lux doesn't seem that interesting, but iStats does monitor network traffic as well, so that might be what's tinkering with network-monitoring-permissions. Wink